IMANTS KALNINS-blow wind blow-PUT VEJINI-ORCHESTRAL FUZZ PSYCHEDELIC LATVIAN ELEVATIONS!

UPDATE-SINCE YOUTUBE TOOK DOWN MY ACCOUNT
I HAVE NO VIDEO CLIPS FOR MANY POSTS ANY LONGER.
SOME LIKE THIS ONE WILL BE RESTORED IN TIME.
THANKS



A while ago, I found a few Latvian 7" Ep's from various movie soundtracks from
the early 1970's, among them was this EP by IMANTS KALNINS, called "put vjini" or in
english "blow wind blow" and upon listening, it knocked my rocks into orbit. I love the orchestral arrangements
and incorporation of a static ridden fuzz guitar. Many moods and alot based on Latvian
folk traditions in music, Imants expanded upon these moods with another release I will
talk about more in another post, based on symphony no.4, where Imants takes a contemporary
(at the time early 70's) rock group and sets it to a competent orchestra, with his take on arrangments.
Both come from a time of social upheaval, and freedom of expression.

Along with this EP I found
and LP by Giedrius Kuprevicius, called "in chase of fire" and was Latvia's answer to the world of the rock
opera, so there is a parallel here, with Imants, they are both from similar vein, influence, and incorporate rock arrangements with full orchestration meanwhile bringing in folk influences, plus socio-political themes. I am planning a full posting of "in chase of fire" in the future, it's a knock out.
Now, again with Imants, I find him and Giedrius to be a real treasure to listen to, and qualify them in my mind as innovative musical geniuses, that deserve a bit of exposure on the web. 

I posted the whole EP and have included the utube clips here from wax, and then I was able to source out the actual video clips from the movie "blow wind blow" which the music was utilized. there is music in the video clips, typically , not available on record. 
I find the movie mezmerizing, and heavy in folk tradition. I hope someone can comment on some of the themes. The last scene of the boat on water with the orange sunset, fits perfectly with the long fuzz bursts laid out over orchestra.
 MOVIE CLIPS :
 ...

.......

Comments

  1. Many thanks for this post.
    I would like to get a lossless copy of this album.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

MAKE SURE YOUR FRIEND CONNECT NAME IS THE SAME NAME YOU COMMENT/REQUEST WITH SO I CAN FIND YOU





full instructions below to become member-please follow steps
otherwise it will be hard or impossible to find you to send link(s)


contact us anytime - freqazoidiac@gmail.com

Popular Posts