Petula Clark Covers the Beatles RAIN - stereo from wax

A really nice treat shows up on a 1966 album by Petula Clark
where Tony Hatch and company transcribe RAIN (flip side to Paperback Writer)
by the Beatles pre Revolver.

I threw the Anthology DVD Beatles footage of RAIN
overtop the Album version by Pet
and they fit pretty darn well.
(had to do some minor tweaking)

I don't have the album ripped but that will be for another post.
(it's a superb Petula album with another highlight being Bang-Bang-shot my baby down)






A big thanks to friend and reader Tris
who left the following informative comment with links regarding
other Petula Beatles covers as she did cover them often
since she was direct friends with them (and of course a brilliant marketing move).

Well, she started with a French version of "Please please me" (Tu perds ton temps) on what passed for a single in France at that time, 1963 (4 titles);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atUz-Dh7yXI

She did a ballad version of "I want to hold your hand" on her International Hits album (1965), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdT4JKFbiw

"We can work it out" on My Love album (1966),http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=dPD9Ilyg-Oc

"Rain" on "I couldn't live without your love album", 1966.

"The Fool on the Hill" (Just Pet 1969) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-6K2eR87I

"hey Jude" (Just Pet 1969) No You Tube available.

She also did John and Paul's "Nobody I know" in French as "Partir il nous faut" (We must go) on one of her French album called Petula. And on a recent CD, there is a live version of 'Yesterday' which is unbelievable.

I think that's them all, but I may have forgotten some...

Virtually all Petula's work in French Spanish English German and Italian is available on CD now. I think there are fewer than half a dozen songs in all that have missed cd issue.

Most of these songs appear on disc 3 of Une Baladine, a cd collection issued in France last year. Samples should be here.

http://www.amazon.fr/Une-Baladine-Best-Petula-Clark/dp/samples/B004498KJQ/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1


Comments

  1. Excellent, and although it's not one of Petula's better Beatle versions (in my opinion), it is great to see her and her dear friend John linked in your video. He was one of her favourite singers, and she one of his.

    It's a pity they didn't work together.

    I believe that her new studio album (due out in February) has a homage to him in a song she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts Tristan.
    I knew they hung out a bit back in that era so this is an interesting tie . I wonder if she pushed Tony Hatch to
    transcribe the song since it was buried on the B side of Paperback writer.

    I applaud the song mostly for going into new territory for popular music. :D

    Maybe you can suggest the Beatles covers she did that you enjoy? I honestly don't have much of Petula's catalogue on vinyl
    mostly singles.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, she started with a French version of "Please please me" (Tu perds ton temps) on what passed for a single in France at that time, 1963 (4 titles);
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atUz-Dh7yXI

    She did a ballad version of "I want to hold your hand" on her International Hits album (1965), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJdT4JKFbiw

    "We can work it out" on My Love album (1966),http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    v=dPD9Ilyg-Oc

    "Rain" on "I couldn't live without your love album", 1966.

    "The Fool on the Hill" (Just Pet 1969) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-6K2eR87I

    "hey Jude" (Just Pet 1969) No You Tube available.

    She also did John and Paul's "Nobody I know" in French as "Partir il nous faut" (We must go) on one of her French album called Petula. And on a recent CD, there is a live version of 'Yesterday' which is unbelievable.

    I think that's them all, but I may have forgotten some...

    Virtually all Petula's work in French Spanish English German and Italian is available on CD now. I think there are fewer than half a dozen songs in all that have missed cd issue.

    Most of these songs appear on disc 3 of Une Baladine, a cd collection issued in France last year. Samples should be here.

    http://www.amazon.fr/Une-Baladine-Best-Petula-Clark/dp/samples/B004498KJQ/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

    I hope that is useful to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for your generosity and time - now everyone who comes here this can be useful to - I will post the links in the post
      itself.!
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. You are very welcome. All this information is available on Pet's US website www.petulaclark.net

      I hope people will find it useful.

      Delete
  4. Petula also covered Maybe Im Amazed which was going to be released as a Single but was Shelved as Paul was planning the same. Pet also covered Here There and Everywhere There is a great rendition of Sgt peppers on YouTube and she did a powerhouse version of Come Together on her Petula 1970 TV Special. Her new album is believed to include Imagine but I am wondering if in fact it will be "Lennon" a song she wrote a while ago which incorporates some of Imagine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

MAKE SURE YOUR FRIEND CONNECT NAME IS THE SAME NAME YOU COMMENT/REQUEST WITH SO I CAN FIND YOU





full instructions below to become member-please follow steps
otherwise it will be hard or impossible to find you to send link(s)


contact us anytime - freqazoidiac@gmail.com

Popular Posts