SON OF COLUMBIA GP-3 GP3 - record digger delight








this is a slight variation of the Columbia GP-3. I do not know if the Columbia has a radio, but this TOPP model 17037 has an AM radio built in. It can handle 7", 10" and 12" records, at 33.3 and 45 speeds. It takes 4 D batteries to run, or an AC outlet. It was made in Japan, for Simpsons Sears. Probably from early 1970's. Very good sound considering. I retrofitted the original output jack (which was originally very dodgy) with 2 RCA outputs for Dual Mono. If you want to know how i did this, i can break it down for anyone. I'm sure it's not much different than the Columbia, as people complain about the same one channel output if people plug in their Headphones. Now I can hook this up to any dual channel as RCA male plugs are very versatile. The audio you hear on the video is the the actual audio this outputs, which i ran through my GLI mixer to my computer to convert to MP3 format. If anyone has any other variations of these portable turntables, out there, please let me know! I'll post pics of variations on my blog. This is a solid little beast. It was a gift from a fellow record collector friend, Ty from Vancouver, who passed away a few years ago. We miss you madly Ty!


See right below for the DEMO i posted on Youtube.




Comments

  1. Heyo

    Interesting stuff. Just trying to find out more about the Columbia GP-3 mixer and found this page.

    Check out Sony's PS-F5 and F9 if you want to see some funky portable vinyl action.

    ps-f5.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Chillstar..yeah those are super turntables.
    Never seen on in person, but have hunted for years for that and the soundburger, but I have a feeling the Technics version is tops?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry Chillstar..I meant..uh Sony hahah

    in my head it just registers as Technics
    quality as in 1200... peace

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

MAKE SURE YOUR FRIEND CONNECT NAME IS THE SAME NAME YOU COMMENT/REQUEST WITH SO I CAN FIND YOU





full instructions below to become member-please follow steps
otherwise it will be hard or impossible to find you to send link(s)


contact us anytime - freqazoidiac@gmail.com

Popular Posts